Monday, June 23, 2008

Day 3: Natural Tunnel State Park, VA to Cedars of Lebanon S.P. Tennessee


We head West down 58 then turn South on 70, a road that leads into the past, where raw mountains and rivers lay untouched and the men wear straw hats and overalls. I'm not kidding. Marcela had some difficulty with the Southwestern Virginia, NE Tennessee accent. 

We came out of the mountains and hit 11W to Interstate 40 past Knoxville and stayed 30 miles outside of Nashville at Cedars of Lebanon State Park. The park was pretty, but not spectacular, set in a forest mostly made up of Red Cedar trees. 

We slept in the back of the truck as usual, and the night was tranquil until I woke up to Marcela yelling, "Cat! Cat!" A feral cat had made its way to our cooler and flipped the lid off, fishing with its paws for our eggs. I leapt out of the truck, still in my sleeping bag, and hopped to the cooler to scare the cat away. This happened two more times in the night until I secured the cooler and made it feral cat-proof.

No comments: